-->
                                                             
                                                    | H O M E |    A B O U T |    A D V E R T I S E |    H I R E M E |

7/23/13

Fit- Benefits of Stretching

When I was asked how I capture my electrolynment- how my mind, body and soul come to an enlightened state- I immediately thought, oh, well working out. Then, taking a moment to really think about it, I thought that working out is not specifically how. Though working out helps keep my mind and body in good shape, it is specifically the stretching part that I find most important. I have done yoga for a couple of years, and while now I don't have the time to attend both cross fit and yoga classes, I still utilize my yoga stretches to maximize my body's capacity. 
The benefits of stretching know no bounds. Whether you exercise or not, stretching will add years to your life by providing your body with increased oxygen to your muscles (remember your heart is pumped by a muscle?) 
Not only do I see the benefits of stretching on my body, but also on mind's state as well. Stress causes your muscles to contract and become tense. With gentle stretching, the muscles will become less tense, and through proper breathing, your brain will be better able to process, reducing overall stress. 

I learned in yoga, that while stretching, you should always breathe, hold positions for 30-60 seconds, take 15 second rests between stretches, and most importantly, pay attention to your body. When done properly, stretching should not cause pain the next day. In fact, it should reduce soreness by quickly passing lactic acid. 
With stretching, I have also learned the importance of staying hydrated. I tried resource® Natural Spring Water for the first time last week, during my work out, and I loved it. The taste is heightened by natural electrolytes, and it is completely naturally sourced. I have never been able to drink tap water, because I think it tastes funny. Some argue water doesn't taste like anything, but to those I'd say, you haven't tasted good water yet. 
From my personal experience, my main stretching tips are these:
1. Stay hydrated, I aim for one bottle of water throughout my stretching period
2. Focus on major muscle groups { calves, thighs, hips, lower back, neck}
3. Breathe the entire time you're holding positions
4. Do it 2 to 3 times a week 
5. End stretching in a comfortable position (fetal position is my favorite) and mentally rid yourself of the day.




resource® Natural Spring Water is a holistic bottled water brand that sustains a lifestyle of wellbeing - spring water with naturally occurring electrolytes for taste, a bottle made from 50% recycled plastic [excluding label and cap], and a source for discovery and enlightenment. 

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by resource® Natural Spring Water via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of resource® Natural Spring Water.

3 comments :

  1. Thank you for the tips! Xo

    webberwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really working on stretching lately trying to get my splits back. You really do have to keep at it or else those muscles tighten right back up. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love you already.

09 10