6/22/12

Thankfulness- A Challenge


Over the past couple of weeks, the concept of thankfulness has been knocking on my front door. It began one night, when I was just not feeling happy. I prayed something like this, "I have nothing to be sad about, why do I feel down Lord?" and so clearly, I received my answer. "Because you're not thankful enough for all you have."

I pondered on this, and came to the conclusion that the root of complaining, sadness and bitterness is  lack of gratitude. That night I resolved to challenge myself to become grateful and verbally express that gratitude, even in the smallest things. Ever since, I feel like my life has been defined and miraculous. 

The next day, while reading my bible, I came across Psalm 50 in my daily plan, and it confirmed that God was trying to teach me something:

Psalm 50: 7-15

"O my people, listen as I speak,
Here are my charges against you, O Israel:
I am God, your God! I have no complaint about your sacrifices.
But I do not need bulls from your barns or the goats from your pens.
If I were hungry, I would not tell you, 
for all the world is mine and everything in it.
Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God,
and keep the vows you made to the Most High.
Then call on me when you are in trouble and I will rescue you.
23:
But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me. 


Since this revelation dawned on me, I am making a conscious effort to take nothing for granted. While doing this, I have learned that God will only give you more when you are thankful for what you have now. Verse 15 above says, and I paraphrase, make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and then you can call on him when you are in trouble. 

Two things from that: 
  • Thankfulness is a sacrifice. 
  • You will not receive help from God until you become thankful. 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Once again, first comes thanksgiving, then come the blessings. 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstancesfor this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 2 Thes. 5:16

So today, I challenge you to take on an attitude of gratitude. To see the good in everything, and as you do, I promise you will be a happier person for it. 

“You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given you.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” — Albert Einstein

“Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.” — The Hausa of Nigeria

“Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” — William Arthur Ward
Happy Friday!!
-Nicholl 

20 comments:

  1. This line -- "the root of complaining, sadness and bitterness is lack of gratitude."

    That is so so so true. I need to start remembering that when I'm feeling down or bitter or out of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't thank you enough for sharing this. You are truly one amazing girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an outstanding message. I absolutely love this, great post! I know I need to slow down and be thankful for more. I think that's my biggest problem, always rushing on to the next thing. I found this quote on Pinterest and love referring back to it, I'm thinking about painting it on a sign and hanging it in my office:

    "The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things" -Henry Ward Beecher.



    mindysmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa. i so desperately needed this.
    thank you!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME post!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good reminder! God doesn't owe us a thing, yet he still blesses us with some awesome things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the reminder! We all have so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful reminder, and perfect timing for me! We all need to be thankful for our many blessings and the incredible life that God has given us. I think I just fell in love with your blog even more :) Thank you for sharing, sweet girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Thanks for sharing :)

    http://theaustinfamilydiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post just made me so happy. It was just the thing I needed today. I am so thankful I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I nominated you for a versatile blogger award. :)

    Check it out here:
    http://livelaughloveforme.blogspot.com/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great post, with a great message! I challenged myself to read the Bible in a year, as I was not raised in a super religious home and feel it is important. I have been slacking a little at night, but this post was so wonderful, I am on a mission to catch up :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great, and truthful, entry! I've been finding myself to be lacking 'something' in my life, perhaps this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog!
    I nominated you for the versatile blogger award!

    http://beautifulcollegiate.blogspot.com/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award-1st-award.html

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this. I have a sign over my front door that says, "There is always, always, always something to be thankful for" and I BELIEVE that to be true. Such good reminders in the scriptures there too. Oh Hi there, I'm new here. My name is Noel. Happy to be your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^Commenting fail hahhaha

      ANYWAYS,

      I just came over from your comment on my blogpost and I'm so glad I did. I love this post. Thanks so much for sharing.

      I'll definitely be following you now!

      -Heather
      keepthefaithandlove.blogspot.com

      Delete
  17. Such a lovely post! Thankfulness is something I definitely need to work on. I think God is teaching me that, slowly, but surely. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love you already.

09 10